Thursday, January 24, 2008

Grades at the U of I are a gamble... literally

by Collin Simonsen
I was in an interview for a job with a prestigious firm a few days ago when the interviewer asked me for my transcript. I reminded him, sheepishly, that I came from the University of Idaho. He said, “I see. Bring it in.”
I then left the room and came back a moment later carting a slot machine.
“Now please understand that I had Goble, MacDonald twice, Beard for Sales that “one year” and Rowland, so I’ll have to do this twice.”
I inserted a quarter into the machine and pulled the lever. As the columns began turning I stared excitedly my eyes bulging with anticipation.
And the first grade was... a “C”! Dang it! I looked at my interviewer nervously. The second grade? “D-”! Dang it! And I had even had the answers for that one! The third grade? “C+”! An improvement at least.
I looked at my interviewer again and said, “It’ll get better I promise.” So I pulled the lever again after inserting another coin. This time it came out “A-”, “A” and “B” plus! Yes! I turned to my future employer and said, confidently, “And since those were second year grades you can tell that I improved.”
“That’s a good point,” he said, “But how do I know they won’t change next week?”
“Well, if I come in next week and they are either substantially the same or better, can I have the job?” I asked.
“We’ll see. Meanwhile, it is now time for my interview with the Harvard law grad., so... yeah, get outta here.”
“Oh, I don’t suppose you even have to look at his grades.”
“Um, No.”
Dejected, I left his office with my grade machine.

No comments: