Friday, February 22, 2008

Centennial Practice Tips

Gentlemen, it is my pleasure to address the student body of this august institution upon the hundredth anniversary of my matriculation from its hallowed halls. As I am frightfully busy with matters of state, I shall make my remarks brief. One who seeks to be called to the bar would engage in a lifetime of debate, upon sundry topics which would baffle the brains of the workingmen. I have now been in the practice for one hundred years and I could not have attained my eminent status without constant refinement of my debating skill. For the benefit of those who would follow me upon the law’s path, I give you the following propositions, which I have used as themes in practice debates opposing my partners. Any reasonably well-educated man should be able to argue both sides of these propositions with skill, vigor, and minimal preparation.

-BE IT RESOLVED, that a horse can trot faster in harness than under saddle.
-BE IT RESOLVED, that no school should instruct its pupils in the Vulcanist theory of mineralogy without presenting the competing view of Neptunism.
-BE IT RESOLVED, that the literary output of Mr Thoreau is not so great as the output of Mr Riley.
-BE IT RESOLVED, that President Hayes had a more beneficial effect on American’s foreign policy than President Arthur.
-BE IT RESOLVED, that no woman of morals should go about in the evenings without a bustle.
-BE IT RESOLVED, that the United States Government should move from the District of Columbia to the city of St. Louis.
-BE IT RESOLVED, that there is no better cure for drunkenness than the tincture of sarsaparilla, gum camphor, honey, spike-nard, turpentine, foxglove, and snakeroot commonly known as “Dr Silver’s Remedy.”
-BE IT RESOLVED, that investing in government bonds is a poor decision because the Day of Judgment will occur before the notes mature.
-BE IT RESOLVED, that retracing one’s strokes when writing the lower-case letter q is a grievous and uncouth error.

Hoping that these exercises lead to the development of strong minds, I remain, Sirs,

Yours truly,
Abner Ulysses Witry, Class of 1908

No comments: